Books and Registers
Books, registers and breeding
The Studbook of the KFPS contains 5 books and each book has a number of registers.
The books are:
The Main Studbook, the two B-books I and II, the D-book, and B-book III. The D-book and B-book III are not of direct interest to Australia and New Zealand.
This book contains all offspring from parents that are both in the main studbook. The sire is an approved studbook stallion.
B-book I : All offspring from parents for which:
- The dam is in B-book I and the sire is a foalbook stallion with a breeding permit
- The dam is in the Main Studbook and the sire is a foalbook stallion with a breeding permit
- The dam is in B-book I and the sire is an approved stallion *
- The dam is in B-book II and the sire of the dam is an approved studbook stallion or a stallion with a breeding permit and the sire of the offspring is an approved studbook stallion or a stallion with a breeding permit.
* Registration in the main book can take place in one generation if including the sire of the offspring three of the four previous generations are sired by a KFPS approved studbook stallion.
B-book II: All offspring from parents for which:
- The dam is Main book, B-book I or B-book II and the sire does not have a breeding permit nor is an approved studbook stallion.
- The dam is in B-book II and the sire’s dam is not an approved stallion or a stallion with a breeding permit.
- The dam is B-book II and the sire of the dam is not an approved stallion or foalbook stallion with a permit and the sire of the offspring is a foalbook stallion with or without a permit.
In the case of the offspring is by an approved studbook stallion or a stallion with a permit, the next generation can be upgraded to B-book I by breeding to an approved stallion or to stallion with a breeding permit again.
|Stallion is à||KFPS studbook||Foalbook stallion with BP||Foalbook Main, Bb1, Bb2|
|Mare is in:|
|KFPS main book||Main book||Bbook I||Bbook II|
|Bbook I||Bbook I||Bbook I||Bbook II|
|Bbook II||Bbook I||Bbook I or II *||Bbook II|
* If sire of B-book II mare is a B-book I of studbook stallion
Each book has the same number of registers that correspond to sex and classification of the horse.
- Provisional Foalbook: All foals that are being reported as born using the birth notification
- Foalbook: All horses that have been microchipped and for which registration papers have been issued
- Studbook: All adult horses that have been admitted to the studbook through a keuring process. Only approved stallions will be admitted to this register in the main studbook only. No other stallions will be in an adult register
- The studbook has further classifications into mares (fillies), geldings and stallions (colts)
Predicates can apply to horses in the 3 books:
- Ster(star): a grade that applies to mares that have received a second or first premie
- Kroon (crown): a grade that applies to mares that are upgraded from a 1st premie ster and have scored 77 or higher in the IBOP test
- Model: an upgrade that applies to a crown mare that has produced foals and has scored 77 or higher in the IBOP test
- Preferent: a mare that has had 4 or more offspring that has the ster predicate
- Sport: proven performance eg. dressage, or driven is a harness discipline or driven discipline
Note: a crown or model predicate can be given on a provisional basis. After a IBOP test with a score 77 or higher has been done, the predicate becomes permanent. There is no time limit for doing the IBOP test after the provisional predicate has been obtained.
There four classifications that are available to foals and mares and geldings.
Foals under 12 months and to mares on admission to the studbook.
Foals – judged for racial type, frame, development, walk and trot. Score between 1 and 10.
1st premie – 36 points or more and average 7 or more for movement
2nd premie – 33 to 35.5 points, no points of 5 or less and at least 6.5 for movement
3rd premie – 29 to 32.5 points, no 4 or 2 or more 5s. , and at least 5.5 average for movement
No premie – lower than the above
Mares and geldings for admission to the main (adult) studbook – judged for racial type, frame, feet & legs, walk and trot.
>7.5 average score – admitted to studbook with 1st premie
7 – admitted to studbook with 2nd premie
Between 6 and 7 – admitted to studbook, 3rd premie
6 –admitted to studbook, no premie
For any score that is 4 or less than 4, no entry in studbook will be possible.
Foalbook stallions can only be judged for ster, not for a premie.
This is a system to score a horse against 20 characteristics. The score form has a medium. For a number of characteristics the score is best if on the medium, for others characteristics a maximum is best. Linear scoring is used for admission to the studbook. The summarising row on the bottom of the form determines the premie of the horse.
Approved studbook stallion (licensed stallions) – are in the Main studbook, have been performance tested and have a permanent license when approved on offspring.
Approved studbook stallions are only available by frozen semen in Australia and New Zealand
Foalbook stallions with a limited breeding permit – foalbook ster stallions that are registered in the foalbook of the main studbook. They are the best of the ster stallions, have preferably been through at least 2 rounds of the stallion classification and have an IBOP result of at least 77 points or possible equivalent performance results to be determined by the KFPS.